Tuesday 14 July 2015

Silent Brass


This instrument was once my most treasured possession and I used to practice an hour a day and attend Band practice twice a week. I had a lot of fun and a lot of upset too. The competitive side of Brass Band contesting is addictive, exhilarating and highly stressful depending on your personality. I was the nervous type cast against my introverted nature and had to perform solos at concerts and sometimes in contest pieces. I always did it but ended up taking beta blockers on the day of the performance so I got through it. I wasn't alone as many players do. What a silly hobby eh?

Three years ago the children and I moved back to my home county of Shropshire for the support of family and I haven't played the flugel since. Now I don't miss it or indeed have the time but for sentimental reasons, I suppose, I've kept the instrument just in case. Well no longer. Decision made and Ebayland here it comes. My other instrument went last year and a fine cornet player off to the Royal School of Music bought it. He was a far better player than I ever was and it was lovely to hear the sound he made. Hopefully this one will also be enjoyed again rather than stored on a cupboard under the stairs.

Do you hang onto things long past their usefulness to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment