Monday 27 July 2015

Odd jobs




Time off with the children is a wonderful experience and I am grateful for the opportunity. Many working parents must juggle childcare and work commitments throughout the long school holidays. We are mostly pottering and I'm getting some of those niggly jobs done. The photo above shows the chair revamped for the 10 year old. Like me she adores patchwork and colour and this is what she wanted her chair to look like.

Originally this was a battered old chair which was gifted to us. Hey we're not proud and could give it a new home. Firstly the wood was rubbed down with some fine sandpaper, cleaned and then painted a soft duck egg blue using the Dulux brand. I've tried cheaper paints but trust me in the end they are just not worth it, Often to get a good coverage a cheap paint needs extra coats which is time and labour and the finish is never as neat as with the more expensive types. My favourite is Crown simply because I've found it the most consistent for good results.

Next the 10 year old wanted the seat cover changed from the dull beige of the original. It was in good condition so I sewed the patchwork directly onto it by hand. Luckily for us we had acquired a pretty patchwork skirt in a charity shop and simply used this. It has also been used as a lampshade cover, again simply sewing it onto an original cover. I think it works well and looks feminine and the 10 year old is very happy. She has decided she now wants patchwork curtains but we'll have to find some other material for them at a later date.

Oh, she has a thing about owls...

No comments:

Post a Comment