Sunday 5 July 2015

Strawberry Gin


The 10 year old has been asking to go strawberry picking for a few weeks so today we visited a local farm near our home. It was small but the fruit and vegetables were beautiful. We were given our punnets and happily spent an hour filling them with only a few being munched as we worked.
We picked too many but that's fine as we are going to try strawberry gin as the damson variety is so tasty. None of us are big jam lovers.

2lb of strawberries
2lb of sugar
1 bottle of gin 70cl.

Hulled the strawberries and had to chop them to fit into the narrow mouth of the demijohn. All ingredients placed inside, a rubber stop in the top and a good shake. Let's see what happens.

I took a big bowl of strawberries and a bottle of damson gin across the road to Jim and Brenda. Hopefully they will enjoy them as I know Jim will tell me exactly what he thinks! Jim has made gallons of wine and beer throughout the years and has some old recipe books. He suggests I try parsnip wine next as it is easy and quick.

I've promised myself to try something new everyday even if it is a tiny change. Blogging is like a public promise so now it is in words I'll have to follow through. Day 1 - Strawberry Gin making.

No comments:

Post a Comment