Monday 20 July 2015

Mortal



This book was bought on impulse as I had a rare chance to pass by Waterstones on Thursday evening after dropping off the 10 year old with friends at an Italian restaurant and on route to rejoin the 11 year old and her friends at Pizza Express. 5 minutes of pure bliss, a sneaky browse by myself and a chance to look through the books I like rather than the children section. There is something about the smell and feel of a new book, the excitement of all those unexplored ideas and stories waiting to be discovered. I was short of time, bought one book and as I was paying saw this one on the counter. Half price the lovely assistant said helpfully and we only put special books on show, new ones with good reviews. So I added it and rushed off.

I started it last night and finished it this morning and have passed it onto my Mum who is a voracious reader. It is beautifully expressive, well written and flows so well I just wanted to keep going. The author is a Doctor and his thoughtfulness, intelligence and compassion shine through his words. It was not the book I was expecting and it makes for uncomfortable reading. He describes the deaths and ending of life of some of his patients and his own family. His contention is Medicine is missing a vital part in the success of extending life by not necessarily adding to the quality of our final years. He also describes pioneers seeking to rectify some of the horrors and the benefits of hospice care.

The subject matter is almost unbearable as it confronts our own deaths to come and those of our loved ones. It is so poignant and I almost wish I had not read it but I am so glad I did. I now have to be clear sighted about what I want in my life, my ambitions, the way I interact with my family and loved ones and to stop wasting time on the trivial unimportant details. It is a sharp reminder to analyse what matters and exactly what is quality of life right now and what compromises I will make now and in the future. This is a life changing read and an unforgettable book.

No comments:

Post a Comment