Wednesday 17 June 2015

Shampoo; truth, lies and much confusion...



Tonight I'm choosing to look at Sodium Lauryl Sulphate or SLS, a chemical found in 90% of all our shampoos and toothpastes. Is it safe? In the interests of fairness I looked first for scientific research which promises this stuff is safe to use.

The one that kept being referenced was the CIR report of 1983 and I did track some of it down (http://www.dweckdata.com/Research_files/SLS_compendium.pdf). This basically says SLS is a skin and eye irritant but it's fine to use in cosmetics as we wash and rinse it away. Really?  What about the continued use over a lifetime I wonder?
Anyway I continued to read and it says it is not an independent hazard research but a compilation of literature from trusted sources. In the first conclusion it states SLS should not be used in concentrations higher than 1% yet the  report gives data showing shampoos containing 10% and more of SLS. Look on most shampoo bottles and after aqua (water) the next biggest ingredient is SLS.

It then says SLS is not carcinogenic because of 1 short study carried out on Beagle dogs. Even they admit this "limits the significance".

Fine, and it doesn't cause fertility problems either because it only does so when mice were given 600mg. Well that's reassuring (note the sarcasm please).

And for the other side of the argument here; (http://www.healthreport.co.uk/sodium_lauryl_sulphate.html)
 is a brief list of the dangers;
cataracts, flaking skin, irritation, chemical build up in the body (although I note it does not elaborate on how or what happens then) and biological dysfunction.

Personally I've found it hard to find conclusive evidence on either side but admissions of SLS toxicity even on the positive side. I think I've made my mind up. I'd love to know what you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment