Sunday 7 June 2015

Mud pies and Maths


Today has been lovely. Sunny yet cool and no pressing jobs or errands so time to play swing ball, talk, groom the dog and help youngest daughter with her maths homework. Modes, median and mean numbers. Thank goodness for the internet!  I really like that today's primary schools offer sites such as "I am Learning" for the children to work through at home. My youngest does it for fun and has clocked up an impressive 35 hours this year in her own time, way ahead of her classmates which gives her additional pleasure. I've heard one of my uncles moan (an ex teacher) that schools today focus too much on fun and not enough on drilling the basics into children. I'm not sure I agree with him but what do you think?

The photograph above is part of an Easter holiday homework which was to build a nature sculpture. This was too big to take in to school as the 10 year old wanted to experiment with building her own version of a Celtic home. There is a small river nearby and much mud and grass were packed down to form the walls in an amateur attempt at building a cob structure. It was messy, fun and satisfying! Who doesn't remember playing with mud pies as a little one? Ticks all my boxes anyway so credit to the school and teachers who expand knowledge through fun and hands on experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment