Friday 5 June 2015

A happy smile



I've been using plain bicarbonate of soda instead of toothpaste for about 2 months now with great results. My teeth are whiter and my dentist commented on the improved health of my gums. I smiled a sweet smile and said nothing. Tonight I decided to mix up a new variety; I used a teaspoon of coconut oil, a teaspoon of vinegar, a sprinkling of ground sea salt and about 3 generous teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda (I'm in the UK, it has a different name in the US). I waited for the vinegar fizz to stop then used some and it's nice. I reckon it takes 3/4 days to get used to using bicarb as a tooth paste but once you do there is no going back to the commercial stuff which seems cloying and horrible. Obviously I'm not a dentist so this is not medical advice so do your own research but this is a change I'm keeping.  There are loads of articles on the health benefits so I've put in one link I think is helpful if you would like to know more; baking-soda-a-good-alternative-toothpaste/ .  I've not asked the children to do it yet as I was being a guinea pig but I think maybe it's time for them to give it a try.



Do you see the bamboo toothbrush? I was stunned to realise how old plastic toothbrushes are filling up landfill and how they are virtually indestructible. Not a nice thought is it? So the bamboo ones are compost-able although if you choose the nylon fibres only the handle will rot down. We've all got one and although the girls seem to prefer their old plastic ones for now I'm hoping a bit of ecological reasoning may help them make the switch sometime soon. The downside is the frequent dampness does discolour the handle slightly but I think it's a small inconvenience to help reduce waste.

/bamboo toothbrush

By the way I have no commercial interests in anything I have linked, they are just articles I've read or products I've used. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment