Friday 19 June 2015

Oh She Glows



Funnily enough I first heard about this book when reading through some reviews about the Deliciously Ella book. Some claimed the Oh She Glows book was far superior and one review accuses Ella of plagiarism. Well that's enough to pique interest isn't it?

 So I logged onto Angela's blog and here is another story of a beautiful young woman healing herself through food choices and making the decision to become vegan. But Angela's story somehow seems more authentic (sorry Ella). There is a real sense of the dedication, trial and error and sheer effort that Angela has put into her work.
 And that reviewer was right, some of the recipes are amazingly similar, almost exact but with the omission of maybe one ingredient. I started working through and comparing the books and until page 39 of Ella's Gnocchi (which was a massive fail in our household) the recipes are more or less the same. Even the blenders they use!  Both books cover the making of almond milk, banana ice-cream, granola, overnight oats with chia seeds...you get the picture. After that I got bored and will admit to disappointment with the Ella book. I bought it in high hopes of changing our diet in healthy ways that the girls and I would enjoy. Some of the recipes worked but some were really awful and I don't think it was me. Now looking at Angela's book which is the real deal and comparing it to Ella's  I feel a bit cheated, a bit suckered in by clever, expensive marketing. Angela doesn't have fabulously wealthy parents or well placed contacts, she's done it by hard work, and reading through the recipes, well they look flawless. I've only had time to do one and had to substitute a couple of ingredients as the cupboard was a little empty but even then it worked and was really tasty.
One recipe is not enough for a fair review but so far it's thumbs up to Angela and a little scowl at Ella, which is a shame, as she seems a lovely person. Only my opinion of course and as ever it's up to you to decide for yourself but I'd be interested in your views.

On that note, goodnight!

Oh She Glows

Deliciously Ella


No comments:

Post a Comment