Monday 22 June 2015

Peas and Beans


Just come inside after doing a late planting of peas. Next to our cottage is some waste land which once belonged to this place but during the sale of this and the farmland and some other cottages nearby, this land remained forgotten and neglected. It was all part of a large estate once upon a time before being taken over by the Co-op group. Most of the properties are very old and in need of love and repair work. Last year the nettles and thistles were chest high so this year I've started to clear it and plant some vegetables so the place is less of an eyesore. If I'd known just how much rubble, bricks and glass there was I might have left well alone! It's getting dark but you can see the beans I've planted for my neighbour. He's decided he is too old to bother growing them this year so I'm doing it for him.


Gardening is hard work and I'm no expert, nor am I that dedicated to it. When we came here we planted young fruit trees around the border so that everything here is both functional and pretty. Sometimes it feels as if I've taken on too much. (Thank heavens for my Mum who helps out and has done wonders with the flowers and lawn). Still when I see the children rushing out to nab the juiciest strawberries and pottering in their own flower patches I know it's probably worth it and it is satisfying when you get to harvest what the rabbits, pigeons and other creatures have missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment