Saturday 6 June 2015

A love of Music





I'm a pianist. Perhaps I should qualify that statement. You'll not see me on stage or hear me on any recording (I hope!) but sometimes I feel the need to sit and play and time whizzes by. Within 5 minutes I feel joyful and whatever stresses have been bothering me, well they become less urgent.

I remember seeing a documentary about a wonderful Jewish lady who survived the concentration camps by being a musician and she talked about the joys of music. It literally saved her life and her son's. She recently died and if anyone can remember her name please let me know with a comment below. It would be lovely to be able to share some details.

So what place does music have in your life? Both my girls have been given opportunities to play instruments and the 10 year old plays both violin and flute. The 11 year old has oodles of talent but no wish to perform, instead she listens intently to whatever currently fascinates her. An eclectic mix with Michael Jackson being a firm favourite.

I believe every child should have the opportunity to play. I believe music is an essential part of being human. There have been studies linking academic achievement with the discipline of instrumental practice although not all of us will have concert performer abilities of course. Still if I were Minister of Education I would want to pile a whole heap of funding into Music and Art.

Taking of teachers, if you have the time to watch this Ted talk, isn't this lady someone you'd really really want to teach your child? The part about her mother made me feel quite emotional. Lovely stuff. I'd love to know what you think?

ted.talks/rita_pierson


No comments:

Post a Comment