Thursday 11 June 2015

China Study Cookbook review


Hello everybody. We've had another creative evening of papier mache as the 11 year old is making a toy for a Year 6 project. She is making one of the characters of a virtual game she enjoys. Ever the perfectionist, she is designing this doll with jointed arms and legs in the style of a puppet. So minimal background reading for this post as I've chosen to review the China Study Cookbook.

Leanne Campbell is the daughter of Colin, the doctor who researched and wrote the China Study. It is based on the research findings and is full of recipes their family enjoy. She is obviously a dedicated mother who goes as far as packing snacks for her sons when they travel or are visiting friends so they don't veer off the recommended diet. Personally I think this is a little controlling and the odd occasion of different food is not going to hurt. Perhaps she is afraid her sons will rebel?

I wanted to like this book but I just don't. I think there are too many recipes based on whole wheat flour as well as a whole chapter on sandwiches. Come on girl we can all come up with healthy sandwiches surely? I was disappointed but then it serves me right as I did read many of the reviews on Amazon and was hesitant. For UK users there are too many unknown ingredients (sucanat, panko style bread, sambal oelek) and also there are a lot of ingredients in some of the recipes which is too time consuming when all you want to do is get a quick healthy meal on the table after work and school.

So if anyone in the UK would like my copy then make a comment below before Sunday and I'll choose one person at random. if no-one wants it then its off to the charity shop!


No comments:

Post a Comment