Saturday 13 June 2015

Evicting the bleach


You're smart, so you've already gathered I'm a bit of a green Eco/hippy kind of female. (I've been called worse... teased, derided and ignored but hey ho ain't life sweet!). So today it's the turn of the ubiquitous bleach.

I hate the stuff. I hate the smell and the way it makes my eyes water especially if the smell is strong. I really noticed an adverse reaction after months of close proximity to toilet bowls during both pregnancies. I had hyperemesis which is not much fun. I am convinced it does no good to the environment or our water systems so let's see what I can find.

Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical commonly found in bleach, water purifiers, and cleaning products.
Swallowing sodium hypochlorite can lead to poisoning. Breathing sodium hypochlorite fumes may also cause poisoning, especially if the product is mixed with ammonia.Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical commonly found in bleach, water purifiers, and cleaning products.



http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002488.htm
The second most common cause of poisoning is household products, which account for up to one in four cases.




http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Poisoning/Pages/Causes.aspx
Bleach can be very dangerous. If bleach is mixed with ammonia, a chemical reaction takes place and it gives off a dangerous chlorine type gas. 


A Caretaker died using bleach a few years ago. He went round putting toilet cleaner down his toilets. He was unaware that a cleaner had put bleach down only moments before. The ammonia in the toilet cleaner mixed with the bleach and created dangerous chlorine gas. He died on the way to hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment