Tuesday 9 June 2015

The 4-hour Body review


This title promises everything doesn't it?   So I bought it on impulse not so long ago. I've not read his other book although I have heard about it and my expectations were quite high. Actually, let's face it, I was hoping this was going to turn me into a supermodel stunner by tomorrow thank you.

So, back to reality, what was it like? Well, Mr Ferriss is a man obsessed. He admits it. He's recorded almost every workout he has ever done and put himself through unbelievable amounts of tests and experiments. If you've heard of it, well he's done it and more besides. He reminds me of Andy Mcnab in The good psychopath's guide to success. Tim believes in doing the minimum effective dose to produce the desired outcome in all he does, even his chapter on sex promises to produce results in an almost clinical fashion. (And I thought that could have been another book, although I suppose he is linking the perfect body with perfect sex).

Tim Ferris and Tim Spector (The Diet Myth) both agree that calories are not equal and also that hormonal responses to carbohydrates, protein and fat are different. Where they differ hugely is;

Dr Spector presents the facts known currently and only mildly suggests how the individual may choose to live. He also leans towards a mostly vegetarian diet with wine and lots of cheese.

Mr Ferris gives highly regimented and specific instructions to losing weight and building lean muscles. He also insists on a one day a week complete pig out to keep the metabolism high but gives no thought as to the quality or health effects this junk may have. He also likes a lot of meat although he does cover vegetarian options. I couldn't help feeling that his main concern was the look of the body rather than the health of it.

It's an interesting read and if you want a copy, well there will be one in a charity shop in Shrewsbury tomorrow after I donate it!

The 4-hour body

No comments:

Post a Comment