Friday 12 June 2015

Deodorant: risky or lies?


This beauty arrived today along with my soap nuts following an order made with Natural Spa Supplies Ltd. I've owned one before and was happy until I dropped it on a tiled floor and it smashed into tiny unusable pieces. I'll have to be more careful with this one.

There have long been mutterings and concerns over the heavy use of deodorants and anti-perspirants and links with breast cancer. From all I have read there does not seem to be definite scientific proof but there are studies that do mention possible links. The first website I accessed was Web MD which is provided by Boots the chemists.

 Cancer Research UK says there is no evidence that aluminium in deodorants could increase the risk of cancer in animals or humans.

How would a mass rejection of deodorant affect Boots sales? I imagine the consequences of huge profit losses would be significant therefore I suggest that there may be a vested interest in not finding any links between cancer and Boots products. Call me a cynic?


Here is the one I found which; 
1) is most recent (2009) and 
2) in my view, the most balanced. suggesting there may yet be a link but not enough clinical research has been done to establish one. 
I'll let you read it for yourself.

The proposed link between breast cancer and the application of cosmetic chemicals with oestrogenic and/or genotoxic properties provides an evidence-based hypothesis capable of further testing. Although individual chemicals will have been tested by current safety guidelines, the effects of long-term usage of mixtures of these chemicals over an entire lifetime by people of all ages across the whole world warrants retrospective investigation. If use of underarm cosmetics is a factor in the development of breast cancer, then options for prevention could at last become a reality through individual decisions to cease usage or through alterations to product formulations.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797685/

The crystal stone is Potassium Alum and you can also find detractors of this and they recommend using baking powder under your arm pits after washing. I've been doing this but as the weather is finally getting warmer I'm not sure I'm so happy with it. Forgive the bluntness! 
My main reason for choosing the crystal stone is moving away from plastic consumption and lowering my personal contribution to landfill. 
I am in no way condemning anyone who chooses to stick with their favourite deodorants after all we all want to smell nice but maybe it warrants further reading?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment