Monday 1 June 2015

Am I poisoning my children?








Thanks to Napoleon Bonaparte, who needed portable food for all his soldiers, we have all since enjoyed the convenience of canned food. Originally in glass jars, which have the downside of being relatively heavy, it wasn't long before the tin can was designed and used in food manufacturing. Great stuff guys.

Now there cannot be many of us in the UK who have never eaten baked beans or fed them to our children. A quick, healthy, tasty vegetarian meal full of protein, yes?  Yet there have been rumours rumbling for a while about the possibility of BPA, used in the lining of food cans, leaching into our food. Is there scientific proof? I read that France intends to complete the elimination of all BPA used in its food industry by this year. I don't know about the UK. What about imports? A quick look in my own cupboard reveals tinned tomatoes packed in Italy. Tuna packed and imported for John West and some cans purchased from Aldi which do not reveal their origins.

I have found it difficult to find any definite scientific study online which proves the link of BPA usage to severe ill health but there is a huge amount of doubt. I've provided some links below which explain far more eloquently than I can but I've read enough. Personally I think the risk may be too great so the tins are going, along with the tin opener!

What do you think?





Breast Cancer

http://www.independent.co.uk

http://www.breastcanceruk.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment