Saturday 30 May 2015

Deliciously Ella review



I thought I'd start with reviewing the Deliciously Ella book which I bought recently in my quest for the optimal healthy diet for myself and the girls. I was delighted to read how one determined girl could change her life and heal herself through diet alone. I love stories like this but is it as wholesome as it appears?

Firstly, it is a very pretty book, very like Ella herself, although the constant use of "amazing", "insanely" and "awesome" is grating.  I did find some of the recipes enjoyable. Too enjoyable actually as I followed her guidelines for three weeks and put on weight!  Not the result I wanted although I felt good. She claims "eating a wholefood plant diet is an amazing way to get to your natural weight".  Whoops. Perhaps I am just a piggy. The gnocchi was disgusting, even the dog refused it and she hoovers up most things but the marinated kale salad was a revelation even without pomegranate seeds. (Excuse me but £1.50 for a single pomegranate from Tescos? I think not).  I love kale now as does the youngest daughter so that is a bonus. Aldi sell a bag for 79p, the Tesco equivalent is £1. I've used both and found no difference in the quality. The other recipe I'll definitely use again is the avocado chocolate mousse as my eldest daughter ate it happily and I felt smug at feeding her something more nutritious than her usual brand. (Ha! if she had known about the avocado there is no way she would have touched it!).

Basically Ella claims to have cured herself of Postural Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) by becoming a gluten free vegan. This is an illness I'd not heard of so I did some googling and and found this;

 http://www.potsuk.org/UserFiles/File/Booklet_Final_Dec_14.pdf

For many, PoTS will improve with time and in some individuals it will disappear altogether.

So Ella's illness may possibly have naturally disappeared without the changes. None of my business of course but it leaves a doubt in my mind. Also she recommends The China Study by Dr T. Colin Campbell although this recommends no added fat including the olive oil which Ella loves to use along with her vast quantities of maple syrup.

My conclusions? I'll keep the book and whilst I don't think it is perfect and some of the recipes are too simple (cucumber and avocado rolls anyone?) there is enough in there to use and adapt for my little family. Eldest daughter now enjoys mashed banana and nut butter as a snack which gives her much needed calories so this alone makes me happy.


Update: I made the creamy brazil nut cheese on page 85. Warning! If you hate marmite do not use nutritional yeast! It is truly the most disgusting vomit inducing food I have ever tried. Yuk Yuk Yuk

Update 2: Having recently purchased The oh she glows cookbook I feel disturbed by the similarities of the two books. I now feel slightly suckered by all the British hype of the Ella book and will not be buying the second one which is due out next year I believe. Ah well...

No comments:

Post a Comment